Nia is a Blast! It makes your whole body smile and feel alive! Nia is a fun and invigorating mind-body movement class that blends the unique chemistry and sensation of dance, martial arts and healing arts. Performed barefoot to inspiring world music, this POWERFUL cardiovascular experience is based on an approach Nia coined as “The Body’s Way”.
Each class is crafted with a specific focus and intention to create safe, purposeful movement that engages your body, mind and spirit making Nia a deeply transformational practice. What’s more, Nia invites you to tap into the Joy of Movement… it feels more like play than working out. In the spirit of pleasure Nia is like chocolate….you have to taste it!
Nia’s philosophy engages the whole person in the authentic expression of the “Body’s Way” through the continuous integration of the Three Art Forms Dance, Martial Arts and Healing arts. Dance includes Jazz, Modern and Duncan dance. Martial Arts includes Tae Kwan Do, Aikido and T’ai Chi. Healing Arts includes the teaching of Moshe Feldenkrais, Alexander Technique and Yoga.
Nia’s is based on 52 moves and the 5 sensations of Flexibility, Agility, Mobility, Strength and Stability. The class is taught to move at a pace that supports your personal fitness level exploring 3 planes of movement and intensity levels. All of these elements create a dynamic movement experience that is an incredible workout and a powerful mind body spirit practice!
FAQ’s, Benefits and what others are saying about Nia!
- Do you get bored doing repetitive exercise routines? You’ll love that Nia is creative, lively and fun. No two classes are quite alike.
- Fed up with movement that leaves you feeling sore the next day? Nia works with the design of the body, so you get exactly what you need without overdoing it. And you’ll feel amazing in your body after doing Nia.
- Limited time? Nia offers many fitness benefits in a single class format. Feel alive and fully rejuvenated after just one hour of Nia.
- Nervous about entering a new community where you don’t know the rules or the moves? Nia class is welcoming and gives you permission to be your self.
- What Should I Wear? Wear loose, comfortable clothing that allows you to move. Nia is practiced in barefoot.
- What Should I Bring? You only need to bring what will make you more comfortable…a bottle of water is suggested.
- What Can I Expect? Expect to have fun, get an amazing workout and to leave more relaxed and rejuvenated!
- When Can I Start? Right away, Nia is a non-progressive class, so you can step-in any time!
- Do I Need Experience To Take This Class? No, Every-Body can come to Nia.
- How Can I Get The Most Out Of My Nia Experience? Arrive 10 min. early. Do not have a full stomach. Drink water before you come, so you will be hydrated. Move at your own pace and allow yourself the freedom to enjoy being a beginner…above all else, prepare to have FUN!!!
- Is This Class Right For Me? I have Not Exercised For A Very Long Time…I am Overweight…I Am Getting Up There In Age…I Have Arthritis…I Have Bad Knees … The good news is that Nia is JUST RIGHT for all of these situations and many, many more. Nia is holistic fitness, using your own Body’s Way to move and exercise…therefore, it is a very healing movement practice that can be adapted to many different physical conditions.
The Benefits of Nia
- Increases the pleasure of living in your body
- Creates weight loss and proper weight maintenance
- Strengthens, tones and defines muscles
- Calms the mind and relieves stress
- Improves endurance
- Improves and increases balance, flexibility and agility
- Balances the autonomic nervous system
- Improves posture and can increase height
- Improves organ function, particularly heart and lungs
- Enhances sensory awareness
- Heightens sexual function
- Builds reservoirs of chi
- Alleviates emotional problems including: depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorders and anger management issues.
- Improves circulation of blood
- Improves lymphatic drainage
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves concentration and cognitive function
If I’m ready to take a class, where should I start?
Start right where you are!! Check out the Nia schedule and give the studio a call so we can schedule you for your Nia class!
History of Nia
Nia is an expressive movement form that uses The Body’s Way to deliver health, fitness and personal growth. Developed by Carlos and Debbie Rosas in 1983 as the first fusion fitness workout, Nia is now one of the most popular body-mind-spirit techniques in the world. Please visit NiaNow.com to learn more.